Featured post

Reading - Starborn Vendetta

Apologies for the lateness on this blog, life was happening. Hi. This week, not a very big post. That will probably come later. Instead, a l...

Sunday 27 January 2019

My Memory of Michel Legrand

On Saturday, I heard about the death of film composer and songwriter Michel Legrand. Basically, for the longest time, I didn't know who he was. I'd vaguely head a foreign name related to songs. It wasn't until I saw his guest appearances during the fourth series of The Two Ronnies, where he performed for piano with orchestral accompaniment.

Then I realised how many of the songs I really enjoyed were ones I enjoyed. "Windmills of Your Mind" is one of my favourite songs. And having seen some of The Thomas Crown Affair, I also have to say that there's a sense of place and presence about the music that stays with you even if the melody doesn't stick.

I was over the moon when I heard that Legrand had composed one of my favourite film scores. The 1983 James Bond movie Never Say Never Again. Just the theme song, performed by Lani Hall, was enough to remain in my mind ever since I first saw the film in my pre-teens. The incidental music, and incredible sense of style and confidence exuded by the score made up for some of the film's shortcomings. He also knows when to hold back and allow silence to be its own music.

On the whole, the world of music has lost a great creator. And that we have as much as we do of his work is a true blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment