Featured post

Releasing July 30: Lost Station Circé

It's happened. It's here. After a nerve-wracking wait, I have a date.  Lost Station Circé , the second entry in my Cluster Cycle ser...

Sunday 16 June 2024

An early inspiration - Tomb Raider: Legend

 

Back in 2006, before I had even an inkling of what I might do for a career, I played a game that's recently seen an uptick in popularity with its release on the PlayStation Plus service. But for me, Tomb Raider: Legend is more than simple a game. More than any book or television show or great piece of movie history, it's a piece of media that helped inspire me to become a writer.

I first encountered Tomb Raider through its 2001 movie, which is okay if a little schlocky. I got Legend soon after its release, and after some frustration with its QTEs, I fell in love. Not simply with its gameplay, but with the dialogue, the story, and with Lara herself. She was unlike any character I'd ever experienced before. She was classy and confident, caring yet hard-edged, acrobatic and voluptuous without feeling particularly exploitative. Some of my favourite parts were the banter she had with her research team back at her mansion in Britain. There was some slightly forced family drama in there, but it was never on a distracting level, and Keeley Hawes's performance sold it and the rest of the journey Lara took across the world.

A chunk of the lines from this game live in my head. "I do my best thinking jumping off cliffs.", "Alistair, meet Tiwanaku. She's a lovely pre-Incan civilisation, currently in ruins.", "It's authentic enough for its age, but it's age isn't entirely authentic.", "Anyone between me and that stone dies.", "Basic etiquette: never arrive at a party empty-handed.", "Death by irony is always painful. Amateurs.", "Grand entrances are always impractical. It's what makes them grand.", "There's no distinction between stupid and charming with you, is there?", "All those satellites and computers just to perfect the science of talking to one's self.", and (in response to a villain asking if she's deaf) "I don't know, let's see. Try begging for your life like you did the last time we spoke."

What I picked out above are just me cherry-picking lines that work well in isolation. There are longer exchanges that are generally reinforce this image of a woman with attitude, and it's all done with nary a curse word. I can remember actively seeking to trigger optional in-level dialogue just to tear the two assistants chip in about something or argue over some of the scenery. Or Lara's propensity for climbing to extreme heights or going along unstable platforms while thinking nothing of it.

I remember wanting to create a character like Lara for myself. I'd always leaned towards creating stories, but this was a true catalyst. Within the next four years, I was scribbling stuff down in earnest, writing on a hand-me-down computer in the old Notepad format, then OpenOffice. Now I'm a published author using Microsoft Word to create stories and characters some might imagine puts Legend to shame. But I disagree. Nothing can shame Legend. It's a piece of history and art that's worthy of remembrance. There are reasons outside its story and characters, but those are the big ones.

For me, forever more, Lara Croft will remain this Lara Croft. Not the busty slight sociopath of the early titles. Not the rather whiny origin character of the second later reboot. But this one, a confident and sassy aristocrat who kicked ass, looked after her friends, and was able to be profound and quippy when exploring some ancient temple behind a waterfall in the depths of tropical Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment